Grades 5-6 ELA: Labor Day Weekend
Students don't have any extra homework assignments over this wonderful Labor Day weekend. However, I did send home the new spelling and vocabulary words for next week.
After thinking it through, I've decided to do make some modifications to the spelling test. I want students to be challenged, but I also don't want them overwhelmed--and I know some of the words from our novel are advanced. So, I am changing the 'spelling test' format to include a majority of regular words, but turning some of the more difficult words into bonus words. This way, the students won't be penalized for missing the bonus words, yet they can earn extra points if they spell them correctly.
However, ALL the words will still be on the vocab test since it's a matching format--at least for now.
Grades 5 & 6 ELA
My Side of the Mountain Spelling and Vocabulary Words for September 7-9, 2021
Students will be given one test for spelling and a separate test for vocabulary (matching) each Thursday!
Spelling Words and Definitions:
1. abundance—having plenty, a large quantity of something
2. acquire—to get, earn, buy, or receive something
3. characteristic—a special feature or quality (BONUS WORD ON SPELLING TEST)
4. device—a machine, plan, tool
5. ferocious—angry, fierce, mean, brutal (BONUS WORD ON SPELLING TEST)
6. generously—unselfishly, showing a willingness to give
7. hypnotized—charmed, captivated, mesmerized (BONUS WORD ON SPELLING TEST)
8. mastery—skill, talent, control
9. poacher—illegal hunter, trespasser, thief
10 . preen—primp, plume, how a bird cleans its feathers
11 . preserve—a safe refuge, to protect
12 . tedious—boring, dull, slow, tiresome (BONUS WORD ON SPELLING TEST)
13 . tether—to tie up, hitch, bridle
14 . varied—mixed, diverse, assorted, colorful
15 . vengeance—punishment, revenge, retaliation (BONUS WORD ON SPELLING TEST)